The People Fund program is funded solely by the many Great Lakes Energy members who allow their electric bills to be rounded up to the next dollar each month. The small rounded-up amount that averages less than 50 cents a month adds up to help many worthwhile causes in your community.
Find out how easy it is to support community causes in your area by becoming a contributor to the People Fund. Enrollment is quick and simple. Locate your account number on your bill and simply click here. Your enrollment will allow us to permanently round up your electric bill each month. You can also enroll by calling us at 1-888-GT-LAKES.
A special thank you goes out to all the GLE members whose generosity permitted us to award the People Fund grants listed below. If your non-profit organization would like to apply for a grant, read our grant guidelines for more details.
2017 Grant Recipients
- Boyne Valley Township, Boyne Falls: $2,500 for a restroom facility at Dam Road Park.
- Grandvue Foundation, East Jordan: $5,000 for the Terrace and Recreation Park.
- The King House Association, Good Hart: $5,000 for restoration of The King House.
- Hayes Township, Charlevoix: $10,000 for rain gardens to contain stormwater runoff at Hayes Township Park.
- Charlevoix Historical Society, Charlevoix: $5,000 for a computer, scanner and server.
- Charlevoix Area Community Pool, Charlevoix: $5,000 for renovation and repairs.
- Otsego Wildlife Legacy Society (OWLS), Gaylord: $5,600 for repair and resealing of building.
- For the Love of Music Community Concert Series, Petoskey: $1,000 for community concerts.
- Challenge Mountain, Boyne City: $5,000 for a multi-use truck.
- Otsego County Historical Society, Gaylord: $972 for restroom remodeling.
- Kiersten’s Ride, East Jordan: $5,000 for a suicide prevention conference.
- Little Traverse Bay Quilters Guild, Harbor Springs: $1,000 for supplies for Quilts of Valor.
- Raven Hill Discovery Center, East Jordan: $5,000 for energy efficient lighting and heating/cooling improvements.
- Kalkaska Conservation District, Kalkaska: $3,000 for tree planting along the Kalkaska Area Recreation Trail.
- Crooked Tree Arts Council, Petoskey: $7,000 to replace the heating system at the Crooked Tree Arts Center.
- Christ Child Society of Northern Michigan, Harbor Springs: $2,000 for fabric and labels for baby blankets.
- Injured Soldiers, Inc., Pellston: $10,475.28 for a whole house generator for Brave Hearts Estate, contingent on raising the rest needed.
- Otsego Conservation District, Gaylord: $2,000 for video cameras, blinds and a projector screen for the Education Center.
- Crawford County Community Christian Help Center, Grayling: $3,849.99 for a commercial freezer.
- Friends of the Kalkaska County Library, Kalkaska: $1,500 for a defibrillator.
- Bellaire Community in Action, Bellaire: $2,500 for scoreboards at the community ball fields.
- Friendship Centers of Emmet County, Petoskey: $2,000 towards a Meals on Wheels vehicle.
- Grass River Natural Area: $2,000 towards the construction of the Perception Pathway.
- Top of Michigan Trails Council, Petoskey: $5,000 for a bike trailer for the Kids Biking Initiative.
- Gaylord Gators Swim Club, Gaylord: $1,935.99 for deck cables and a computer.
- Manna Food Project, Harbor Springs: $6,000 for the Produce for People II project for a partnership with local farms for fresh produce for pantries.
- Circle Rocking S Children’s Farm, Freesoil: $4,437.99 for barn repairs and a printer and fax machine.
- City of Ludington Police Department, Ludington: $5,000 for a driving simulator, contingent on raising the rest of the funds.
- Irons Seventh-Day Adventist Community Service Center: $3,000 for food pantry needs.
- Fixing Furry Friends, Scottville: $948.08 for canopies, cages and crates.
- Second Chance Humane Society, Scottville: $1,072.96 for a laptop, printer, keyboard and monitor.
- Stehouwer Free Clinic, Cadillac: $5,000 for dental care for low income clients.
- Uplift Pine River Area Kids, Tustin: $5,000 for a supplemental food program for kids.
- Martin Johnson Heritage Museum, Baldwin: $3,265 for a new roof.
- Fountain Area Community Center, Free Soil: $3,000 for a furnace for the upstairs of the community center, contingent on raising the rest of the funds.
- West Shore Pregnancy & Family Support, Ludington: $3,000 for the Earn While You Learn Program.
- Growing Future Agriculture Business $-H, Reed City: $3,000 for a commercial refrigerator for produce.
- Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association, Ludington: $1,250 to bring the schooner Appledorn V to the Michigan Lighthouse celebration.
- Fixing Furry Friends, Scottville: $500 towards computer, monitor, printer, toner, keyboard and mouse.
- Lake County Historical Society, Baldwin: $5,000 to reconstruct the wall next to the handicap ramp.
- Lake County Habitat for Humanity, Baldwin: $3,000 for tools and a trailer.
- Crossroads Theatre Guild, Reed City: $3,000 to repaint the building exterior.
- Save a Buddy Fund, Manistee: $500 for spay and neuter vouchers.
- Friends of Ludington State Park, Ludington: $5,000 for equipment for a new playground that will be ADA accessible.
- Caritas Food Pantry, Custer: $2,195.68 for a storage shed and snow blower.
- Tallman Lake Senior Center, Fountain: $3,102 to install new entry doors and widen the opening.
- Beaver Township, Bitely: $1,000 for a well for the township hall, contingent on raising the rest.
- First Baptist Church of Pentwater/Pentwater Community Food Pantry: $2,000 for freezers for the food pantry.
- Women’s Information Services, Inc., Big Rapids: $6,875 for security cameras and a steel door.
- Shelby Area District Library, Shelby: $1,000 for children’s books for a reading program.
- Village of Stanwood: $3,500 for a roof for the pavilion at Stanwood Buffalo Park.
- El Centro Hispano de Oceana, Hart: $4,000 for computers and software for a computer lab.
- Community Foundation for Oceana County, Shelby: $4,000 for books for the Read Early Read Often program.
- City on a Hill ATLAS, Zeeland: $3,500 for food and grocery gift cards for qualified clients.
- Martin Area Resource Center, Martin: $700 for a printer and toner.
- Christian Neighbors, Plainwell: $2,000 for utility and rent assistance.
- White Cloud Lions Club: $1,800 for a commercial refrigerator.
- MARS, Ravenna: $2,500 for food pantry stock and financial assistance for qualified clients.
- Project Hope of Allegan County, Dorr: $2,000 for personal care items for the pantry.
- Newaygo County Compassion Home for the Terminally Ill, Fremont: $14,775 for a heating and cooling system.
- Oceana County Council on Aging, Hart: $900 for a commercial coffee machine.
View the 2017 Annual Report to learn more.