June 12, 2015
Great Lakes Energy members who support the cooperative’s People Fund program made possible nine grants to local community non-profit organizations. The People Fund Board of Directors awarded a total of $44,200 in grants in June to the following non-profit organizations in northern Michigan.
- Garfield Township Parks & Recreation, Fife Lake: $2,500 for picnic tables and grills.
- City of Boyne City, Boyne City: $10,000 for a community pavilion.
- Otsego County Library, Gaylord: $2,500 for equipment for Vanderbilt branch.
- HeadWaters Land Conservancy, Gaylord: $1,000 for materials for wildlife exhibits.
- Huron Pines Resource Conservation & Development Council Inc., Gaylord: $10,000 towards removal of the Song of the Morning Dam in the Pigeon River system.
- Raven Hill Discovery Center, East Jordan: $5,200 for renovation of electrical and heat in one-room schoolhouse.
- Pigeon River Country Association, Gaylord: $7,000 for building renovations, contingent on securing the building lease.
- The Manna Food Project, Harbor Springs: $5,000 for the Backpack for Kids program.
- The Nehemiah Project, Petoskey: $1,000 for computers and computer desks.
The People Fund is supported by the voluntary contributions of Great Lakes Energy members who allow their electric cooperative to round up their bill each month to the next dollar. More than $2.7 million in grants have been awarded since 1999 to charitable and community organizations throughout Great Lakes Energy’s 26-county service area, which stretches along the western side of Michigan.
“The average contribution to the People Fund is less than 50 cents per month,” says President/CEO Steve Boeckman. “It’s one of the easiest ways our members can show their commitment to local communities by rounding their bill to the nearest dollar.”
Great Lakes Energy members can enroll in the People Fund by calling 888-485-2537 or visiting gtlakes.com. One hundred percent of the funds collected are used for grants.
Non-profit organizations in the Great Lakes Energy service area can apply for a grant through the People Fund by calling Great Lakes Energy, 1-888-485-2537, ext. 1313. The next grant application deadline is October 1, 2015.