June 18, 2015
Great Lakes Energy members who support the cooperative’s People Fund program made possible 10 grants to local community non-profit organizations. The People Fund Board of Directors awarded a total of $24,433.50 in grants during June to the following non-profit organizations in south and central Michigan in addition to recent north area grants:
- Holland Park, Big Rapids: $5,000 for flagpoles, lighting and bronze plaques for the Veterans and Home Front Heroes Memorial.
- Shelby Benona Fire Department, Shelby: $2,332.00 for AV equipment for a training classroom.
- Hesperia Beautification Committee, Hesperia: $1,487.50 for picnic tables.
- Love INC of NW Allegan County, Hamilton: $1,500.00 for the L.I.F.E. Skills program to be used toward gas cards. This grant is contingent on raising the rest of the funds.
- RSVP, Big Rapids: $880.00 for File of Life to provide to senior citizens in need.
- Crossroads Theatre Guild, Reed City: $2,700 for a sewer line replacement.
- Mason County Walleye, Ludington: $5,000 for fish transfer tanks and repairs.
- Love INC of Manistee County, Manistee: $2,384 for a phone system.
- Stehouwer Free Clinic, Cadillac: $650 for shelving
- Cadillac Wexford Public Library, Cadillac: $1,500 for charging stations.
The People Fund is supported by the voluntary contributions of Great Lakes Energy members who allow their electric cooperative to round up their bill each month to the next dollar. More than $2.7 million in grants have been awarded since 1999 to charitable and community organizations throughout Great Lakes Energy’s 26-county service area, which stretches along the western side of Michigan.
“The average contribution to the People Fund is less than 50 cents per month,” says President/CEO Steve Boeckman. “It’s one of the easiest ways our members can show their commitment to local communities by rounding their bill to the nearest dollar.”
Great Lakes Energy members can enroll in the People Fund by calling 888-485-2537 or visiting gtlakes.com. One hundred percent of the funds collected are used for grants.
Non-profit organizations in the Great Lakes Energy service area can apply for a grant through the People Fund by calling Great Lakes Energy, 1-888-485-2537, ext. 1313. The next grant application deadline is October 1, 2015.